Frölicking trails since 2010

Frölicking trails since 2010
Frölicking trails since 2010

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Spark - Missoula Half Marathon - Summer 2008

Honestly, the reason I'm running today is because my dear friend LP made me run a half marathon in her name. She had signed up for the Missoula Half Marathon, but later on she realized that she couldn't run it due to some change of circumstances. Was it fate? So she texted hella people asking who would run it for her, and I texted back "OMFG Ok whatever ill do it lol." Given that I had been playing 10-15 hours of pickup soccer every week, I felt in shape enough to accept this offer only 2-3 weeks prior to the event. The farthest I had ever run up to that point was 10 miles (by accident), and so this half marathon sounded like a beautiful challenge.

The Half Marathon!

Thanks to my running friend Becky who was my ride to Missoula, she picked up our racing bibs and kindly changed my gender to a 'male'. Arriving at the starting line area, I was overcome with a swelling feeling of anxiety...and I had to pee real bad. I found a Porto and took care of business, and then stretched for a bit. As the countdown began, I started my running playlist (Flogging Molly) and readied my timing device. The countdown eventually ended with a "GET ON YOUR HORSE!" (paraphrased from "go"), and I rode off into the sunrise!

Like in every race, my first few miles were ran waaaay too fast. All I remember from the first 3 miles was how fresh I felt while flying at a 6:00 min/mile pace...it was a surreal experience considering I was in the shape of my life and didn't know how my months of pickup soccer would affect my ability to run. I eventually slowed and settled into a comfortable pace, allowing people to pass me as they may. I memorized something about everyone that passed me, hoping that I would have the stamina to hunt them later on in the race.

Fatigue attacked my knees around the 10 mile point, likely from all the pavement pounding. My comfortable pace became uncomfortable, and the last few miles were a bit of a struggle. Turns out training for a road race on field turf was a poor way to prepare the joints for the beating. At one of the aid stations, I asked a volunteer how much farther I had to go..."Umm..2-3 miles maybe?". At that point in the race, 2 miles sounded amazing...so I stuck with that.

Seeing the final homestretch, my legs found a burst of energy from an unknown place and carried me through the finish line like a tired bull trying to kill the Matador with one last charge. Looking at the time, I couldn't believe it. Prior to the race, I was hoping to break 2 hours, but instead I broke 1:30! So I asked someone what time it was, and he confirmed that I had indeed ran that half marathon at a 6:45 min/mile pace. Knowing that the Boston Marathon requires a 7:15 pace to qualify, a little seed was planted in my ecstatic little mind...

"I will qualify for Boston...Oh yes, I will qualify for Boston."


About the Race:

Missoula, Montana is a BEAUTIFUL town! The race itself was well organized and had a gorgeous course starting in the outskirts of town, going through countryside, residential neighborhoods, and eventually ending downtown. The Full Marathon itself starts more towards Frenchtown before joining the half marathon in town (I don't recall where the exact junction is). The Missoula Marathon was named Best Overall Marathon by Runner's World Magazine in 2010, and the reason is not too obvious. It is a beautiful course and was well organized, but so are many other marathons. Oh well, it's nice to see a 'small' Montana town get nationally recognized as the best marathon in the country. I would go back again in a heartbeat.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. yay!!! I am so glad that me leaving the country resulted in your love for running and ultimately you kicking ass at it!! :)

    ReplyDelete