Frölicking trails since 2010

Frölicking trails since 2010
Frölicking trails since 2010

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Dropping Out of Wasatch 2015

I apologize to anyone who tried to get into Wasatch this year, I totally blew it...again.

Perfecting my Hugging form on Mt. St. Helens 
Hello! I've decided to drop out of Wasatch 100 mile run 5 weeks prior to the race. Since so many of you (ultra runners) have been in similar situations, here's a reflection on why I made my decision.

Plantar fasciitis has seemingly crept back into my life, even though I was in denial for a while. It started immediately after I finished a fast run around Mt. Hood in shoes that were too narrow (and perhaps I still wasn't recovered from my trip to Europe), and it seemed manageable for a time. However, as I was frolicking on Mt. St. Helens today for 36 miles, my foot had gotten worse. By the time I reached my car, I had made the decision to drop.

Being that I'm 5 weeks from Wasatch, this is technically when my peak training should be happening. Granted, I feel like I'm in great shape (Europe made sure of that), but this injury feels like it would probably take more than 5 weeks to cure. So I seemingly had two choices: continue training through the injury (the stupid choice) or stop training and let Jbob heal.

Another huge reason why I dropped is because, although I've taken full advantage of my company's liberal vacation/unpaid time off policy, I only had enough vacation for one of two choices: run Wasatch, or go to Disneyland with the family (and my nieces and nephews). Granted, Wasatch was scheduled first, but it was a tough choice.

My goal for Wasatch was to give it my all, hoping that would be enough for a podium finish. This was a huge goal for me, and it would have been a dream of mine to really nail this race. But if I ended up running the race and had to drop out or bonk hard at mile 60, I'd be crying for the last 40 miles wishing I had decided to go to Disneyland with my family. And since I won't be able to arrive at the Wasatch starting line healthy, trained, and confident...I'd rather spend my time with my family.

New goal: Win Disneyland.

This is the 2nd time I've registered for Wasatch and had to bail due to injury (the first time was in 2012). Until I get a chance to run the race again, Wasatch will continue to be my Great White Buffalo.

Thank you EVERYONE who has been a big support to me for this past year, including Trail Butter, The Float Shoppe, Evolution Healthcare & Fitness, and Bioskin. I really appreciate it.

My next race is the Hagg Lake 50k/25k in February 2016. Until then, I'll be socializing more, napping more, and dancing at my friends' weddings without fear of ruining my taper for Wasatch.


Much Love,

Jbob

No comments:

Post a Comment