Frölicking trails since 2010

Frölicking trails since 2010
Frölicking trails since 2010

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Timberline Trail Marathon - Timothy Lake, OR - June 4th, 2011

Sun...what's that?


My initial reason for signing up for this race was so I could catch up with the people I met at the Bunker to Bonneville 50K. I've kept in touch with a few of them on Facebook, but this was the first time I would see them in 8 months! As soon as I parked my car at the start, I ran into the lot of them. The jokes started immediately as I met and re-met my Columbia Gorge Running Club friends, and it was the highlight of my day.

GO!

The race started in an interesting fashion, only letting one runner go at a time. I was the 2nd that was unleashed, and I sped forward at a comfortably ambitious pace. The morning was cool, despite the forecast for 80 degree weather that day. The course started with a small (mostly downhill) trek to Timothy Lake, where the marathoners were to run around it twice and return to the start at the Clackamas Lake Ranger Station. From what I hear, the course used to start at Timberline Lodge...that would have been awesome.

The trail was soft compact trail, and mostly flat with some rolling sections. I started the race in 2nd place, and I kept my position for a while. Eventually 3 guys caught up and ran with me for a while. I asked if they wanted to skip ahead of me, but they were content with my pace. Ugh. I hate leading a wild pack of runners, it makes me feel like I'm being pushed. I'd rather chase than be chased, but we were only about 6 miles into the race. I was running with 2 water bottles, mainly for practice, but it worked in my benefit. After the first aid station, I lost all the runners but 1 because I didn't have to stop. Yeehaw!

"You see Arcadian,
I did bring more runners than you."
The one guy running with me had a manly beard, which earns him the nick-name King Leonidas. It was his first marathon, and I was glad he decided to ride the trail rather than pound the pavement for his first 26.2. The trail adds a little bit more to the soul whereas the road marathon seemingly tries to steal my soul every time I run one (except Boston). Further on, we were close to the end of the first lap when we were passed by a man wearing a Poland shirt. Polska! It would have been fun to run with him, but I had to bail and take advantage of a campsite toilette. Unfortunate dietary planning, I suppose...stupid fiber.

Getting back on the trail, I completed my first lap around the lake! To make things interesting, the half-marathoners had just started...and so I was now running with a lot more people. It wasn't a bad thing, except I had no idea who I was racing against unless I saw the color of their bib. Bah. My legs were still feeling great though, and so I kept up my pace with a touch of urgency to regain my pre-shit position (with no idea far behind I was). Go legs, Go!

There was an ever growing tightness in my hamstrings as the race went on, another reason why I hate flat courses. Any variation of uphill and down hill would activate and deactivate different muscle groups between the vertical transitions, but flat somehow always makes my hamstrings hurt. Maybe 2 days of taper isn't enough for a trail marathon? Who knows. I was racing the best race I could with the legs I had that day, and that's all that matters. I was able to catch up with King Leonidas, as he was beginning to struggle. We did some quick runners talk before I pulled ahead, chasing behind some fresh half-marathoners.

It was fun passing through camp sites full of people just watching the runners go by. They probably had no idea that there was a run going on that day, but many of them gave a cheer which was appreciated. And there was one point where 4 or 5 children lined up to give high fives...awesome! It reminded me of the Boston Marathon and all the millions of high fives that made my right arm OH so tired.

After finishing the 2nd loop around the lake, I headed back to the start. There was a little hill that I decided to power hike before I found the flatland. The last mile went quickly, though I was was looking over my shoulder half the time. I finished with a sprint, not knowing (or really caring) about my place or time.


Results:     3:23:36 - 4th out of 72 Finishers

Pace:     7:50 min/mile



The weather was beautiful, I finished with a good time, and friends were everywhere...it was a great day! The rest of the afternoon I ate and hung out with many of the Columbia Gorge Running Club folks, especially Kyle Chaffin (who managed to win his age group despite a broken leg). It's easy to get burned out during training, and it's days like this that help re-vamp my motivation to keep training. As my weekly mileage increases, my free time decreases. There is a balance, and I'm still trying to find it...but the races are worth every mile.

Nicole and me post race

It was great seeing everyone, especially Nicole, Kyle, Gary, Stan, Esther, Lynda, Brett, Brett's Wife, and everyone else! Thanks for the awesome day!

2 comments:

  1. I've never ran a marathon before and I signed up for this race to be my first. I thought to myself what a stupid thing to do, but your description of this race put my mind at ease. Thanks for the article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this. I was curious about the weather and the hills at Timothy Lake, as well as that staggered start, and this puts my mind at ease a little. Very descriptive and encouraging. ~as

    ReplyDelete